One of the powers of the oyster is its ability to be used in so many dishes. From casseroles to grilled delights, the oyster is limitless. Just in time for Cinco De Mayo, we’re bringing you this flavorful recipe from Beyond Mere Sustenance. Enjoy these crispy fried oysters paired with a bright citrus salsa. Don’t forget– for a quick meal, use our Wandering Waders Jarred Oysters.
What You’ll Need:
- A variety of citrus (see Tips)
- Fresno or jalapeno chiles
- Sea salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Coconut or vegetable oil
- Corn tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Zest the citrus, then remove pith.
- Combine all ingredients in a (salsa-sized) bowl.
- Stir well to combine.
Prepare Taco Toppings:
- Prep all garnishes. Place in appropriately sized bowls. Set aside.
Fry the Oysters:
- Whisk buttermilk and egg together in a shallow bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat oil to about 375 degrees.
- Dip each oyster in egg/buttermilk mixture, and then into the cornmeal.
- Coat the oyster on all sides.
- Carefully drop them into the hot oil.
- Repeat with remaining oysters. As oysters brown, gently turn them.
- Oysters cook quickly.
- 1 to 2 minutes per side in hot oil should be about right.
- Drain the cooked oysters on a few layers of paper towels.
- On a warmed corn tortilla, place a small amount of shredded cabbage.
- Top with 1-3 oysters (depending on size).
- Add a spoonful of citrus salsa and the remaining garnishes as desired.