Fresh oregano and a lemony butter sauces elevate these fried oysters in this easy recipe from Garlic & Zest. Fried oysters are great in a po-boy or on their own. For this recipe, you can use our jarred oysters or shuck them yourself.
- 12 WhiteStone oysters shucked
- 2 cups flour
- 3 large eggs whipped
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1/2 cup asiago grated
- 1/2 cup parmigiana Reggiano grated
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 3 lemons divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- pinch oregano finely chopped
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 inch olive oil in the bottom of the pan
- Set up a dredging station with 3 shallow bowls or dishes: 1st bowl is flour, 2nd bowl is egg and half and half. 3rd bowl is panko, asiago, parmesan and oregano.
- Add enough oil to a heavy skillet (with 3"-4"sides) to reach about 1" in depth and heat to 325°. (Use a thermometer for correct reading).
- Dredge the oysters in the flour, followed by the egg and half and half and finally the panko mixture. Transfer the oysters to the pan, cooking no more than 3-4 at a time for about 1-1 1/2 minutes on each side. Transfer oysters to a tray lined with paper towels and continue with the rest of the oysters.
- Drain all but two tablespoons of oil and return the pan to the heat. Add lemon slices and cook, turning once until they are browned. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and stir. Continue stirring while you add butter, one tablespoon at a time to the pan. Just before the first pat of butter is completely melted, add the next pat. Continue in this manner until the butter is used and you have a sauce. Stir in the parsley and pinch of oregano.
- Spoon the lemon butter sauce onto 4 plates and top with 3 oysters each. Serve.